Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Cheerleader

Wow it has been to long since I last blogged this marathon training is kicking my butt.

The last couple of weekends I have played the role of Cheerleader instead of the athlete.
On May 12, I went to the Hippie Chick Half Marathon to cheer on a few of my running buddies (Cheryl, Kim and Stephany). I walked around with them, watched them line up for the start, and kept my eye on them as they crossed the starting line. What do I do now? well I went and check out all the vendors. Mmmmm Peet's was giving out free coffee and free samples of Luna Bars. This was nice, so this was how the support team lived while the participate ran/walked. Hmmmmm, not bad. Well I knew that Kim would be finishing her 10k, so I made my way to the finish chute. Oh my goodness, I was at a loss. I started laughing out loud. I turned to a gal next to me and said "Well this is new for me, being on this side" It was her first time too. She had injured her leg and could not run. (I did not run due to me running an 18 mile training run the next day.) It was so much fun to cheer all the runners and the walkers on. It was great to see Kim, Cheryl & Stephany come across the finish line. I had so much fun that I went and cheered on running buddies and some "Chicks" at the Portland Rock-n-Roll Half Marathon.
The Rock-n-roll half was a blast, I felt like I knew half of the runners, Lol. And the best part...I got a few hugs from them. Thanks...Robin, Mimi, Chanda, Travis, Brenda and Heather. Oh and there was a BIG bonus to cheering with Rose, Margaret, Michelle, Kate & Megan. Oh and I can not forget a real treat....We got to see the Kara Goucher race by....Can't wait to see her in the Olympics this year.

I think I will be adding these races to my schedule next year.


1 comment: